Halloween is the most “melting pot” American holiday, which celebrated on the 31st of October. The mystery of the Halloween leads to the Celtic festival of Samhain, which was the holiday of the end of summer and the beginning of winter.
People believed, that this day the wall between two worlds fell and the ghosts came to our world. So, they left food and burnt fires to turn them back. It was also the day when the people remembered their deceased relatives; they believed that those good spirits visited their homes and left for them special lanterns with candles cut out from vegetables to show them the way to their world.
Nowadays, this carved lantern out of pumpkins in the window is the sign for children who visited houses in costumes of ghosts, witches, goblins, etc. with words “Trick or Treat” that sweets are waiting for them. The tradition of dressing costumes goes back to over two thousands years ago when the people wore animal skins to fool evil spirits.
Today, Halloween associated with witches flying on brooms, skeletons, black cats, pumpkins, ghosts, etc. To tell the truth, Halloween is the best magic festival of this century and the spirit of it will last for ages.
Funny and Cute Halloween Quotes:
- “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” – H. P. Lovecraft;
- “Where there is no imagination there is no horror.” – Arthur Conan Doyle;
- “The real monsters are the people that give away little boxes of raisins instead of Halloween candy.” – Mike Raphone;
- “Those seemingly interminable dark walls between houses, long before street-lit safety became an issue, were more adrenalizing than the mountains of candy filling the sack. Sadly Halloween, with our good-natured attempts to protect the little ones, from the increasingly dangerous traffic and increasingly sick adults, has become an utter bore.”- Lauren Springer;
- “Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”- Mark Twain;
- “I don’t know that there are real ghosts and goblins, but there are always more trick-or-treaters than neighborhood kids.” – Robert Brault;
- “Halloween shadows played upon the walls of the houses. In the sky, the Halloween moon raced in and out of the clouds. The Halloween wind was blowing, not a blasting of wind but a right-sized swelling, falling, and gushing of wind. It was a lovely and exciting night, exactly the kind of night Halloween should be.”- Eleanor Estes;
- “I wish every day could be Halloween. We could all wear masks all the time. Then we could walk around and get to know each other before we got to see what we looked like under the masks.” – R.J. Palacio;
- “A house is never still in darkness to those who listen intently; there is a whispering in distant chambers, an unearthly hand presses the snib of the windows, the latch rises. Ghosts were created when the first man awoke in the night.”- J.M. Barrie;
- “There is nothing that gives more assurance than a mask.” – Colette;
- “To suffering there is a limit; to fearing, none.” – Sir Francis Bacon;
- “The time has come, for the Witches’ dance. And the spooks from near and far will gather and make merry for Hallows’ Eve is here.” -Jaclyn Lopez;
- “I can see lights in the distance trembling in the dark cloak of night. Candles and lanterns are dancing, dancing the waltz on All Souls Night.”- Loreena McKennitt;
- “Proof of our society’s decline is that Halloween has become a broad daylight event for many.”- Robert Kirby;
- “There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul and something of its inconceivable mystery.” – Joseph Conrad;
- “It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.”- Author Unknown;
- “Bring forth the raisins and the nuts- Tonight All-Hallows’ Specter struts Along the moonlit way.” – John Kendrick Bangs;
- “Acting is like a Halloween mask that you put on.”- River Phoenix;
- “I must go in. The fog is rising.” – Emily Elizabeth Dickinson;
- “Ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to.”- Richard Harris Barham;
- “When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers, ‘tis near Halloween.” – Author Unknown;
- “Halloween season. The season of the witch, so many thought. And, in legend, the night when souls could return to earth…And try to linger on. But the dead weren’t really returning, the living created evil.”- Heather Graham;
- “Fear has many eyes and can see things underground.” – Cervantes;
- “The great thing about candy is that it can’t be spoiled by the adult world. Candy is innocent. And all Halloween candy pales next to candy corn, if only because candy corn used to appear, like the Great Pumpkin, solely on Halloween.”- Rosecrans Baldwin;
- “There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.”- George Carlin;
- “Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of a bat, and tongue of dog, Adder’s fork, and blindworm’s sting, Lizard’s leg, and owlet’s wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.”- William Shakespeare;
- “The witches fly Across the sky, The owls go, “Who? Who? Who?” The black cats yowl And green ghosts howl, “Scary Halloween to you!”- Nina Willis Walter;
- “Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” – Edgar Allan Poe;
- “Nothing on Earth so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night.”- Steve Almond;
- “Nothing beats a haunted moonlit night on All Hallows Eve…. And on this fatal night, at this witching time, the starless sky laments black and unmoving. The somber hues of an ominous, dark forest are suddenly illuminated under the emerging face of the full moon.” – Kim Elizabeth.