The historical roots of the Thanksgiving Day lead to 1621, when the Pilgrims and the Indians organized a hunting party, to thank for the first corn harvest.
Until 1789, when George Washington called to celebrate this day as a holiday in the U.S. national government, it was held only in some separate states on different dates. During the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln officially established the date for the fourth Thursday in November.
Later, Franklin D. Roosevelt tried to move it up a week, but met the resistance and was forced to adopt the previous date in 1941. To continue the traditions of Thanksgiving Day, Americans just like the first colonists came together to enjoy the lavish feast with turkey, pumpkin pie, sauce of cranberry, sweet potatoes, and other traditional food which decorate the holiday table as a most historically common way to celebrate the finish of the harvest season.
It’s also necessary to mark the tradition of Turkey pardon, which was founded by President John F. Kennedy, who spared a turkey and sent it back. Thanksgiving day called to show gratitude for all, which ones have in his life – parents, friends, love, job, etc.
It’s a remarkable opportunity to spend the day together, watching football matches, visiting parades and of course, eating delicious food.
Happy Thanksgiving Day – Funny Quotes and Sayings:
- “We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown.” – Abraham Lincoln;
- “The unthankful heart… discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!” – Henry Ward Beecher;
- “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” – William Arthur Ward;
- “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” – Aesop;
- “There is one day that is ours. There is one day when all we Americans who are not self-made go back to the old home to eat saleratus biscuits and marvel how much nearer to the porch the old pump looks than it used to. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.” -O. Henry;
- “Sharing in God’s blessings is at the heart of Thanksgiving and at the core of the American spirit.” – President Bill Clinton;
- “Praise God even when you don’t understand what He is doing.”- Henry Jacobsen;
- “Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.” – Native American Saying;
- “Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often.” – Johnny Carson;
- “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” – Hansa Proverb;
- “The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.”- H.U. Westermayer
- “Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants.” – Kevin James;
- “Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected of us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips and shows itself in deeds.” – Theodore Roosevelt;
- “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama;
- “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” – By Henry Van Dyke;
- “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus;
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey;
- “It is literally true, as the thankless say, that they have nothing to be thankful for. He who sits by the fire, thankless for the fire, is just as if he had no fire. Nothing is possessed save in appreciation, of which thankfulness is the indispensable ingredient. But a thankful heart hath a continual feast.” – W.J. Cameron;
- “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.”- Melody Beattie;
- “A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue but the parent of all other virtues.” – Cicero;
- “Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech Thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of Thy favor and glad to do Thy will.” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt;
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy;
- “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”- G.K. Chesterton;
- “Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple life… a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year — and the deep, deep connection of all these things with God.” – Ray Stannard Baker (David Grayson);
- “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens;
- “Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.” – E.P. Powell;
- “We can always find something to be thankful for, and there may be reasons why we ought to be thankful for even those dispensations which appear dark and frowning.” – Albert Barnes;
- “It has been an unchallengeable American doctrine that cranberry sauce, a pink goo with overtones of sugared tomatoes, is a delectable necessity of the Thanksgiving board and that turkey is uneatable without it.” – Alistair Cooke;
- “Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow.” – Edward Sandford Martin;
- “Stand up, on this Thanksgiving Day, stand upon your feet. Believe in man. Soberly and with clear eyes, believe in your own time and place. There is not, and there never has been a better time, or a better place to live in.”- Phillips Brooks.
Other articles that will be useful:
- sexy happy birthday quotes
- uncle birthday wish
- grandma birthday card message
- birthday wishes for boys
- birthday little boy quotes
- 2nd baby quotes
- kids birthday quotes
- good morning motivational sms
- get well soon messages coworker
- funny birthday wishes for bosses